Belle Grove Historic District was entered into the National Register of Historic Places on July 16, 1973. More than 20 Victorian-era styles are found in this 22-block, 130+ year timeline of architecture bound by N. 5th Street, N. H Street, N. 8th Street, and North C Street. Some of the most prominent landmarks include:
The Clayton House (1852)
Style: Queen Anne/Italianate
514 N. 6th Street
Transformed into a lavish mansion (1882) by William H. H. Clayton who was the prosecuting attorney for Judge Isaac C. Parker. Features black walnut staircase, original furniture, and more. Tours are Tuesday-Saturday (12-4 PM) and Sunday (1-4 PM). $6 (Adults); $3 (Age 6-17); FREE (Age 0-5)
The Bonneville House (1868)
318 N. 7th Street
Famously owned by Susan Bonneville, the widow of General Benjamin Bonneville who was a famous explorer of the American West. Interior tours are available by appointment.
Belle Grove School (1886)
Style: Second Empire and Romanesque Revival
423 North Sixth Street
All grades were taught here until 1898 and up to grade 6 until 1975. Interior tours are not available.
James K. Barnes Home (1893)
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
515 N. 6th Street
Features curved brick, butterfin mortar and stained glass. Interior tours are not available.
The Darby House (1895)
311 N. 8th Street
The boyhood home of General William O. Darby, WWII hero who founded Army Rangers. Interior tours by appointment.
Schedule a guided tour by calling (479) 783-3000 (general public) or 479-783-8888 (tour operators).
Distance from Convention Center:0.5 mi.
Please call for information regarding tour hours and fees.
- The Clayton House (0.0 mi.)
- Vogue Aesthetics (0.1 mi.)
- Fort Smith Little Theatre (0.1 mi.)
- St. John's Episcopal Church (0.2 mi.)
- Doe's Eat Place (0.2 mi.)
- Gutenberg by UAFS (0.2 mi.)
- Belle Starr Antiques (0.3 mi.)
- Inn Towne Lodge (0.3 mi.)
- Garden Lodge (0.3 mi.)
- El Cholito (0.3 mi.)
Free parking is available at the homes open for tours and alongside the street.