Added to the Arkansas Register of Historic Places on November 7, 2001, Massard Prairie was a popular grazing grassland for Union troops and locals during the Civil War. On July 27, 1864, Confederate troops led a surprise attack against the Union soldiers stationed at the site, completing one of their most successful attacks on Union troops in Arkansas.
Today, the site remains in remembrance of the men who lost their lives and immortalizes the hisoric battle by preserving the four major areas of the camp: The Parade Ground, kitchen or "mess" area, and the camps of Companies B and D. The park also includes historic markers, a monument, a memorial flag staff, and a walking trail.
Learn more about the battle at www.ExploreSouthernHistory.com
Free parking is available at the location.