Oak Cemetery is recognized as a National Historic Landmark based on over 152 years of documented history.
The oldest monument, dated 1842, the same year Fort Smith was incorporated, marks the grave of Captain Gookin.
The cemetery continues to capture the colorful history of past generations. It is the resting place of at least twenty-eight outlaws hanged by Judge Issac C. Parker and several more that were sentenced to hang but died in jail.
Also interred are over a hundred Marshals, Deputies and Court appointed officials, some of whom lost their lives while serving the cause of justice. Also buried here is the Founder of Fort Smith, an Arkansas Governor, fifteen Fort Smith Mayors, and a hundred twenty-two confederate soldiers.
The thirty-acre facility is under the perpetual care of the City of Fort Smith's Parks and Recreation Department.
The Sexton House provides office space and a storage area to preserve burial records.
The museum within the Sexton House displays pictures, historical artifacts and documents. A multi-media center is also available for visitors to view interesting videos. The pavilion stands tall beside the museum
Free parking is available at the location.