During the 1840's, future U.S. President Zachary Taylor was commander of the military garrison at Fort Smith. His private home was once located on the grounds of what is now Immaculate Conception Church and St. Anne's Academy, at 13th and Garrison. A fire destroyed the home just before the turn-of-the-century, but what is referred to as Zachary Taylor's Chimney is still standing.
Distance from Convention Center:0.4 mi.
Monday-Sunday: 8 a.m.-Sunset
- Immaculate Conception Church (0.0 mi.)
- Gateway Park (0.0 mi.)
- Civil Axe Throwing (0.1 mi.)
- Fort Smith Coffee Company (0.1 mi.)
- Empty by Pastel (0.1 mi.)
- Taliano's Italian Restaurant (0.2 mi.)
- Native by Add Fuel (0.2 mi.)
- R & R's Curry Express (0.2 mi.)
- REVAMP'D by Designer Again (0.2 mi.)
- Red Roof Inn Downtown (0.2 mi.)
Free parking is available at the location, but please keep in mind that the historic site is located on the grounds of Immaculate Conception Catholic Church. Please be courteous to its members who will be using the parking lot during regular scheduled church services.